Chasing Cheerios

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A Simple Storytelling Game


O and I have had fun telling stories together using this storytelling game lately!

To make the game I borrowed these wooden figures from her phonics bags and put them together in a drawstring bag (from IKEA). To play the game we take turns taking one figure out of the bag at a time. The first person starts the story, and we keep adding to it using the figures as prompts. I was surprised by how much O enjoyed this game, and I was happy enough with it that I bought more figures from WM. You can find these (already painted) wooden figures at WM, Hobby Lobby, and Michaels. They cost about 50 cents each.

10 comments:

  1. Wow...another great idea. I have seen these wooden items but I never would have thought to use them this way. Thanks as always for sharing. We will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I always want to buy those painted wooden figures at the store! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. those figures are so cute! and what a neat idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For the Elf's seventh birthday we made story dice as party favors. They are wooden dice (cubes from the craft store) with the edges and corners sanded soft. We used little rubber stamps to put different images on each side. Then we colored them with colored pencils and sealed them with beeswax. I made little drawstring bags to keep them in. They're great for taking with you out to eat, at doctor's offices, in the car. I got the idea from an Etsy shop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute idea. We'll have to try something like this. My son loves making up stories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! We have a TON of these guys that we use as fridge magnets. This will be a great activity to help my son with his speech therapy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this yesterday and played it with my kids today- and it was great fun! I wish I had had someone capturing their facial expressions and their plot lines on film. Thank you for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! I have a few of the wooden pieces and made magnets and a couple other things, but I have been trying to think of new ways to use them. We went to Michaels today and picked up a bunch more. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete